Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with Procrastinators

What techniques have you used to deal with pracrastinators; particularly those who continually miss deadlines and seem to be only concerned about getting a passing grade.  Grade penalties for late submission do not seem to work.  

Like cigarette smoking, procrastination is a habit that is very hard to quit.  This behavior will greatly influence future career development; remind them of this.

It seems that often those students that are procrastinators, are often 'ORANGE or BLUE' personality types.

I've found sprinkling discussions and released announcements with bright colored silly gifs & photos spontaneiously engages the student just prior to the deadline, so it is sort of a 'soft fun reminder'. (ORANGE)

Also, I try to be authentic in my feedback and state that 'I am concerned' that you may have a stressful end of class if you don't turn in the following work this week "  Test 2, Assignment 3, and Discussion 2.   (then I share something personal or silly going on in my week about my cold coffee or dog) 

I am really hoping to see you FINISH STRONG!  Here is my text # if you have any questions, Ms. Lee  (602)xxx-xxxx  (BLUE)

Hope this jogs your thoughts for some other fun ideas for your class that will benefit your students (smile here)

Learning lots of new things, did not know about the Color and personality.  Learned something new.

Emails and texts with catchy taglines. Caring, concerned emails and texts. Since many procrastinators are Blue, they respond quickly when they feel that they are not being judged, and that they are cared for by their instructor. They respond quickly to this type of messaging, and 9 times out of 10, they submit the work within a few days. They begin to open up as well when they feel cared for, and they will begin to share their life stories and vent to their instructor.

I agree that late grade penalties are usually not succefful with procrastinators. Positive feedback and connection often helps my students. I agree with Stacie that one of their biggest fears is of being judged. A friendly text asking how they are doing or asking if they need any help goes a long way. Most of them respond and it tends to jumpstart them. Sending Kudos for submitting work when they do helps, too. Many of my students are so appreciative of me checking in and in getting praise for what they've already accomplished, no matter how small the accomplishment is. 

Paula

I have found that sending some form of a reminder email and/or a phone call if needed to remind students to stay on task. In my experience, it has been benificial to send a positve email letting the student know that you are awaiting thier assignment or discusion posting. The problem is, you end up hearing thousands of excuses. I have heard them all. But you might get a few to respond in a timely manner. 

Make sure students understand that their late work in school will cost them a lower grade, but late work in a job will cost them their job. Meeting delines is more of a job requirement, then whatever the course material is teaching them. 

I found tips to eliminate procrastination helpful.

i teach a blended learning course where I have face-to-face with my students several times a week.  I suggest that they use whatever technology or skills they use to remind themselves of other important committments.  My younger students I suggest a cell phone alarm, some of my older students I suggest keeping a paper calendar they can check.

Sign In to comment