Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meeting student needs!!

Based on my experience as an online instructor I find that building effective communication and establishing a good rapport with my students’ are critical to their success as online learners. The more comfortable students feel, the better they will contribute and engage in class.

I couldn't agree with you more.  I love engaging the students so they feel more comfortable with the entire online class and its amazing how well they do when they feel comfortable.

I agree with both of you. To be a valued contributor with our insights in online courses help to the students to search and to comment about the subject of the discussions.

Strongly agree, it is the basis for good learning.Encourages students to participate

Frequent contact gives positive results. The online student feels served, effective frequent contact

One strategy I use to keep students engaged is to ask for periodic feedback. For example, I reach out to the entire class half way through the course and ask what they think of it. I regularly reach out to students at risk and also to successful students to let them know they are well and to keep up the good work.

I think that's a great idea. We often think to do this in an on-ground class, but may not think to do the same thing in an online course. I encourage my students to contact me if they have questions, but that is not the same as asking them for feedback about the course before the end of the course. Food for thought!

I have found that maintaining an open line of communication with students is very helpful. I do reach out every so often to my students and try to gauge what type of support they might need from me. It can be very time consuming but it does bridge that communication gap. Students in my opinion do generally like the hand the teacher extends when they maintain their communication and engagement. 

Agreed! While it does take more of our time to reach out by phone, it really does make a big difference when we build this type of foundation with our students.  I like to advise my students during my initial call to contact me via text for the quickest response as opposed to waiting for me to reply to an email.  Many really appreciate this, and when they know they have this type of support they also seem to remain more engaged throughout the course.

Sign In to comment