Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning

How do you get the cautious student to participate in active listening activities?

RC

Hi Romanda.

I'm not sure what you mean by participation in "active listening" activities.  Can you list some examples of active listening activities?  I may be able to offer some suggestions if I understand what you are referencing.

Thanks.

AW

I think you mean active learning.  First, you create a safe environment by starting with more basis questions.  Then, you can do some low risk activities, like polls.  Sometimes it is a matter of requiring participation and then using positive reinforcement.

Karen

I agree with Karen's suggestions too - and for stduent engagement - don't forget to go backand review the previous module (EL 102) where specifics were offered for different learning styles, which are Avoidant, Competitive, Dependent, Collaborative, Participant, Independent (Bergquist & Phillips, 1975). The first three styles can pull from active learning and engagement. And then behaviors need to be on the radar too because as in a traditional class - the online classroom will also have an array of sbehaviors tolook out for and address: noisy, quiet, disruptive, intimidators and procrastinators. 

Hope that helps and happy teaching everyone.

:) 

Hi Yvette. I really appreciate yur coments concerning different learning styles.

Active listening is focused and egaged listening, and not only when students are exected to respond. Active listening is thinking about, visualizing, chunking, processing, and reflecting on the information being listened to.

Yes, I find that asking questions and expecting full engagement through inviting students in discussions - including between peers, redirecting questions, asking for clarifications, agreeing-disagreeing, and so on are effective tools in this matter. 

Sign In to comment