Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do you learn by teaching others?

I cannot count how many times the light bulb has turned on in me by preparing for teaching my students.  I also have experienced directly in the middle of teaching a thought that has further established the content of what I am teaching and I am able to relay that to the students.  There are also times that students have asked questions that I needed to research the answer and therefore learning more myself.  Therefore, I can say without reservation, yes, I do learn by teaching others.

Hi Karen!

Great post! Like you, I always learn when instructing others. I even share with my students that I learn as much from them as they may learn from me. I may post a question about a topic that was in the news, and while I have my own perspective on the topic, I have found that students, perhaps of different cultures, may have a completely different perspective which causes me to stop and reflect, and many times change my own opinion. Thank you for sharing!

Many of the areas identified in this tutorial can be used in face-to-face classes as well. I will adopt some of these strategies in online classes; record keeping is an automatic with our learning platform, so this is never an issue.

That is my motivation to teach. Not only I share my life story where they can learn, I also hear their experiences and ideas which help me to learn. I learn a lot from my students.

Yes, this, indeed, is my top favorite aspect of this profession.

Sign In to comment