Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communicating Plating Elements

What techniques do you use to assist students in understanding plating concepts?

I discuss the common traits of all the different plating techniques so the students understand the reasons for doing them all. I use pictures to show good and bad examples of flow, height, negative space, contrasting colors, plate position, even vs. odd numbers etc.. and then check for understanding.

Nathan,

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words: whether it be a picture from a book or the internet, and definitely helps solidify principals. Taking pictures of each of the students production or station set up for review during the next class period can give the students the benefits of seeing many scenarios, rather than simply an individual critique/feedback.

Jae Gruber

I agree with both, I start with a lecture that is concept and theory based, and then follow that up with viewing pictures of plates while collectively discussing the elements taught in the lecture.

Another valuable practice, I have the students produce 2 plates during production. The first we eat and discuss, the other is displayed for all students to see and for the focus of a dialogue directed by the instructor but focused on student dialogue about the plating critiques, "What did you like about this one..." I think this increases their exposure to plating styles and allows the student to "steal" good ideas for their repertoire and help circumvent their own pitfalls by being exposed to the mistakes of others.

Matt,

The 2 plates during production is an excellent idea. In addition to your reasons for doing so, it is also a good exercise should they chose to be in a future competition as more than one plate is usually a requirement at those venues.

Jae Gruber

When I was in school... we had a simple grading principle. Each plate must have at least five colors, three textures and three key flavors.

We then had to chart the flavor profile on a simple graph as to where the key flavors lay... and then we charted the meal as a whole.

IF we did not manage to touch all of the parts of the palet, we had to start over.

I use a similar, yet not so complicated version of this practice in class.

We then look at the plate as a work of art... the band acts as the mat of the artwork, the colors should be bright and strong, the colors should be fairly well distributed and no one food item should draw too much attention. Shapes, densities and visual textures should also be considered... AND if nothing else, the plate should be simple and not too busy.

Barry,

I think the charting principle that you experienced while you were in school, as well as the "work of art" version that you use in teaching your classes, are both fantastic ways to get people to think about their cooking and plating from multiple perspectives. Of course, as you mentioned in keeping a plate simple, sometimes less is more!

Jae Gruber

I take the same plating elements and show them several versions of a plate. One piled on top of each other (incorrectly) and another (or several variations) that emphasize height, negative space and appropriate garnishes.

I use a multitude of techniques to assist students in understanding plating concepts.

I like to bring in a few of my favorite publications that highlight mordern plating. I will flip through these publications and have discussions with students on plating ideas.

I also will make tweaks on a students plate that he/she brings to me for critique. This allows them to realize with some adjustments their plate could be something entirely differnt.

I also use a display of student plates for peer review. This allows the students to see what classmates are doing. It Exposes them to a wide variety of plating styles and allows them the option to borrow ideas they like and solidifies ideas they don't like.

Elizabeth,

These are very good techniques that I have used as well and have found to be very effective! It sounds like you are trying to reach the student audience in multipe ways!

Jae Gruber

I use a combination of techniques to demonstrate plating concepts; LOTS of photos of contemporary plating vs. classical plating, demo plates that utilize identical components arranged in various different plating styles, and even different shapes cut out of colored construction paper (to represent food) that can be arranged and rearranged on a plate a bit easier than real food.

Dorothy,

These are all excellent ideas and suggestions. I've even heard of some students creating paper mache food pieces to arrange on plates. Whatever works to drive the point home in an engaging fashion!

Jae Gruber

I like to show lots and lots of pictures from previous students, internet finds, and pictures that I took from eating out. we go over each plate and talk about the techniques used, with the good and bad. I also randomly grab items in the kitchen and have a anonymous plate design exercise. Items could be anything from herbs, spice, nuts, produce, etc... At the end of plating i have students critic multiple plates with my final input at the end.

I show examples from books to give the students ideas of how things are plated with use of color, texture, height, flow, and negative space.

I teach an intro class and we don't get into plating that much with the students food. But one of first concepts I do start with in plating of my demos is to keep the food of the rim. The food is art and the plate rim is the frame. They dont mix.

I discuss plating before the students begin production. I ask the to use a plate of appropriate warmth and size. I discuss how a customer will experienc a pplate that is heaped cafeteria-style and with dirty edges. And I discuss proportion--just because you may 3 portions of rice it does not all belong on the plate at once! This is their first class of cooking and plating food. It generally is not more than 2 components but instilling care & style has to start somewhere!!

I accomplish this by collecting shots of very similar or same dishes with many different presentation styles into a powerpoint presentation and ask the students to vote on their favorite, and then have them break down why they liked certain elements of plates over others; this leads the discussion then into the core elements of plating. From there we move into creative ideation for dishes and practice drawing out plate presentations; another skill they will also need in the future!

A very effective technique I use is a Power Point presentation of plated food from the 60's 70's 80's and the present. This often brings a chuckle, but it shows the progression to smaller portions, an emphasis on fruits and vegetables, and an overall simpler look.

They also realize that the basic concepts are still true, you must vary flavors, colors, textures, and shapes.

We then go through each plate and discuss how we could change them to reflect current tastes and trends. They love this exercise!!!

John,

The different ways that you approach the learning of presentation ocncepts and the build up and flow of the topic is very methodic. These are extremely worthwhile best practices. Thank you for sharing!

Jae Gruber

david,

It is definitely a good idea to explain why you are plating items a certain way during a demo. Even if the students do not have the opportunity to do plating in an Intro class, they are at least getting an explanation along with the visual aid of your plate.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities