Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning

Most of my students work full-time jobs and attend class in the evening after work, therefore, it is difficult for most of them to stay focussed and get the full benefit of the classroom lecture when pure lecture method is utilized.  I find that my students are able to retain lecture materials better when active learning methods are utilized.  If I have materials that can only be delivered through pure lecture, I provide that information during the first quarter of the lecture time and utilize active learning method for the rest of the lecture.  I find out that my students are very receptive and retain more since I started this process.

I agree. My method is to use various methods to keep them focused. The use of the various senses to ingrain the knowledge.

Definitely,  most of my students also are working full-time day jobs and come to class for an additional 5 hours, including me.  Sometimes keeping them focused is hard.  I am new to teaching in the capacity but am quickly learning new material and approaches to reach these adults learners where they are at the time.  

I remember being that evening/night student after work all day & now I'm an instructor for evening/night. Lecture for the first part & discussion, hands on, short videos for the second part did help with focus.  Also encouragement from previous instructors to eat light! LOL! Anything heavy just added to the "want to sleep" syndrome.

Reply to William Myers's post:

I agree - offering variety is key. 

and I liked the reminder to have students take notes from the pre-recorded messages, which could then be discusse dor expounded on during class.

I also love how the flipped classroom can meet more needs for students because it might alow more intercation as the teacher is not the sage  on stage but the guide on the side. 

Sign In to comment