Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Employee Appraisal

What is the first step of formal employee appraisal?

Employee conflict

How have you dealt with employee conflict when your direct report(s) demonstrate lack of respect for your position? 

SU106

Supervisors who know how to effectively delegate accomplish more. 

SU105

Effective supervisors are responsible, authorative, and accountable.  

SU102

Use good practices that exist for managing different types of people. 

Challenge Quiz 1

HiĀ 

I'm really strugling with the correct answer for question #2, the correct answer is listed as "C.Your opinions about what other employees think of Fernando's performance."

Opinions and what other employees think should not be documented for an evaluation, An opinion may or may not be factual how can you prove an opinion? Also it seems very demeaning to be asking other employees what their opinion of their co-worker is and use it on an evluation. The evaluation should be based on facts and performance not on opinions. If anything the answer should have "documented opinions" or factual thoughts… >>>

hiring

I think this program made some good points and will help me make better decisions in the future when it comes to hiring.  What do you look for in a candidate and why?

Delegating and ownership

Delegation of tasks will allow team members to take ownership over key responsibilities of their departments. This is also a great tool which can be used to develop stronger leaders within a team which in the long term will benefit the department. 

Hiring

When is it appropriate for a non-HR employee to discuss salary?

reverse delegation

After delegating the task of CCST training to a subordinate due to personal hectic schedules and a heavy workload, the employee reverse delegated the task back to me because of the time limit set by the software and the already busy work schedule the employee had. I accepted the reverse delegation, rearranged my already busy schedule, and spent four hours online with the training modules because the TWC requirement is critical for our continued work.

Skill level delegation

We are a small business with 4 employees.. a director, manager, bookkeeper, and receptionist. The receptionist and bookkeeper are required to assist in other areas as needed and they do a good job. Recently the bookkeeper asked for more responsibility. I obliged and discussed the new task she would be performing and gave an outline and discussed standards. She took the job happily. After the first task was completed and we were reviewing her work, I noticed many errors. The errors were in spelling, grammar, incorrect entries, and shortcuts were taken when it was specified not to do so. We… >>>

Part-time v. Full-time Appraisals

Is it appropriate to evaluate part-time employees in the same manner as full-time employees?

negative evaluations

When is it appropriate to dismiss/terminate an employee after multiple negative evaluations? And how many evaluations would it take to do so?

When does delegating become part of that person's job description?

If delegating certain tasks, jobs or projects become constant then wouldn't that become part of that persons job description?

qualities of a good employee

What do you find to be the most important qualities in an candidate when deciding on whether to hire?

accountability/validation

Why is accountability and validation important in leading employees?

personality and performance

What personalities have you found that you best work with?

Mentors

What methods have you used to encourage mentoring without potential negative feedback on an annual evaluation? Does a mentor report to the manager?

Delegation

Delegation has always been one of the areas that I have concentrated on improving through out my career. I will admit that I have become more comfortable as I have progressed in different positions in my career.

Delegating and Understanding.

Delegating and understanding are important in delegating work i have also read it helps to "write down what was agreed to and have it SIGNED by both the boss and the delegate" to make sure what is need to know is known. Delegation is also good in showing your employe that you trust them with more.