Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Campaign ads

I'm thinking that the upcoming presidential election will provide lots of opportunities for students to practice their critical thinking skills, including learning how to spot logical fallacies. Any thoughts on how to structure such activities?

Practical intelligence

Does practical intelligence take cultural ideals into consideration?

Observational Learning and Cognition

I enjoy the discussion on observational learning because students gain insight into understand why children sometimes behave aggressively. Albert Bandura explains how the cognitive processes must play a vital part in the learning process. I find it interesting the different steps children experience different behaviors. The first steps in the modeling process is attention where children pay attention to the behavior before they model it. Retention in memory, takes place when the observer remembers the behavior that took place. Reproduction of the behavior basically allows for the individual to recall what was seen. For example, a child may remember seeing>>>

Race and Ethnicity

I teach different levels of sociology as well as psychology; however, in my sociology class the topic of "White Privilege" is one that is very interesting and offers some challenging points of view from my students. There are many of my students who do not believe that White Privilege exist or that there is a racial problem in this society. One of the ways I help my students (ages 17-25) understand different issues is telling them the instructions I give my daughter if she gets stopped by the police.  Much of the information I tell her, I am sure other>>>

No Formula for Retention

I like how one of the points made in this myth module was to be weary of percetages that easily end with a zero of 5, and the percentages added to the cone are all at the ten percetage ending - and are not grounded in research - but it was reminder to check our sources more and while on the surface it might be desirbale to want to say that a certain percatge is reatined by these neat little amounts - there is no formual for retaining information. We all need to review and make sure we encoded it… >>>

Stunning how we continue to propogate this myth of 'preferred' learning styles...is anyone seeing a change from your perspective?

I am amazed that we continue to get reinforcement on 'learning styles' as if it is more than just theory.  I'm curious if other readers are seeing the same or am I just 'way behind?"

Adult Learning Explained | Origin: ED208

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Adult Learning Theories --> Adult Learning Explained

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Teaching the Adult Learner | Origin: ED208

Adult Learning Theories --> Teaching the Adult Learner

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Brain-Based Teaching | Origin: ED208

Adult Learning Theories --> Brain-Based Teaching

Theories of Adult Development | Origin: ED208

Adult Learning Theories --> Theories of Adult Development

Characteristics of the Adult Learner | Origin: ED208

Adult Learning Theories --> Characteristics of the Adult Learner

Impact on Education | Origin: ED139

Emotional Intelligence in Learning --> Impact on Education

Integrated Intelligences | Origin: ED139

Emotional Intelligence in Learning --> Integrated Intelligences

Emotional Intelligence: A Wider Context | Origin: ED139

Emotional Intelligence in Learning --> Emotional Intellegence: A Wider Context

Emotional Intelligence: A Context | Origin: ED139

Emotional Intelligence in Learning --> Emotional Intellegence: A Context

Problem Solving Steps | Origin: ED116

Critical Thinking Processes and Applications --> Problem Solving Steps

Creative Problem Solving Through Analytical Thinking | Origin: ED116

Critical Thinking Processes and Applications --> Creative Problem Solving Through Analytical Thinking

Characteristics of a Critical Thinker | Origin: ED116

Critical Thinking Processes and Applications --> Characteristics of a Critical Thinker

The Value of Critical Thinking | Origin: ED116

Critical Thinking Processes and Applications --> The Value of Critical Thinking

Helping Students Retain Course Content | Origin: ED108

Learning Theory and Practice --> Helping Students Retain Course Content